10 Apr 09
I have been without a job for close to a month now. The market has been quite tough especially towards the end of March, early April being the end of the financial year in the UK.
In the past week I have noticed in the area of Front End Development the contact side of the job market has improved quite rapidly. So much so I have attended a number of interviews and had 3 jobs offers! I can’t believe the turnaround. I start my new job on Tuesday working on a great project.
With the temperatures warming up and days getting longer now was a great time to get outdoors, here’s what ive been up to over the past few weeks…
- Sleeping in 🙂
- Finsbury Park – This 45 hectare park is just up the road, its massive spanning over 2 suburbs.
- Hyde Park & Green Park – Located in central London, had a lovely day walking around.
- Heaven Foam Party – Loads of fun was soaking wet by the end of the night.
- South Bank – Nice warm weather, people were flocking outdoors for the sunshine.
- St Johns Wood – quite high density apartments which are quite sort after. Kate Moss & Sir Paul McCartney are some hight profile residents.
- Hampstead Heath – This is one of the more affluent suburbs around London, some of the most expensive property is located in the Hampstead area. The shops that line the streets are aimed at the high end consumers. Jamie Oliver is a resident in Hampstead.
The Easter long weekend is here, I am venturing down to sunny Brighton today, going par-take in my first CouchSurfing experience – im excited!
the world is waiting for you
24 Feb 09
Im happy to say that I found a job, its on the other side of London town and I’ll be starting in a few days. The contract is only a few week long, creating HTML email campaigns & attending to website updates. I am glad something finally came up as I was started to get bored at home.
One task I did attempt in my jobless period was updating the firmware on my Nokia N95 8GB phone. After backing up all my contacts & settings I proceeded to install the updates, then I loaded all my contact & settings back on, things didn’t go as planned. Many, many hours later which now became the early morning I had given up trying to retrieve my contacts.
To ensure I would never lose my contact again I did some research and came up with three options:-
- PC Suite – software the comes with the Nokia N95 8GB phone. One major downside is that doesn’t work on a Mac.
- iSync – comes bundled with Mac OSX. To be compatible with my Nokia N95 8GB phone a plugin is required. iSync ties in with Address Book, iCal & MobileMe, none of which I currently use. This was a viable option which I considered.
- Google Mobile Sync – earlier this month Google Mobile Sync was announced making it possible to sync your address book & calendar from a number of selected phones (iPhone, BlackBerry, Nokia, Sony Ericsson & Windows Mobile) with Gmail & Google Calender of which use both.
Even though Google Mobile Sync is still in beta and the Nokia N95 GB supports syncing contacts only I decided to give it ago. After the longish step by step guide to configure all the settings it worked first go! I was quite impressed with the speed and to my surprised it even copied the photo for each contact, if supplied.